tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 13 07:32:44 2003

Re: New Member/Syll... correction

----- Original Message -----
From: "C. Krottje" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 6:59 AM
Subject: Re: New Member/Syll... correction

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:57:14 +0100
>  "C. Krottje" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:28:06 -0500
> >  "Christopher A. Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > My name is Chris Jones and I am pleased to be a part of
> > > this group.  My
> > > Klingon name is Ngarakkani (Klingon spelling
> > > unknown--Help on that needed).
> >
> > Are velar nasals allowed in initial position in Klingon?

I don't know if there are "rules" per se, but {ng} is a consonant, and thus
can start a word. {ngab}(to vanish), {ngej}(to infect). And my name
{ngabwI'}.

>> At least I assume that there are no consonant clusters with glottal stops
in
> > Klingon.

True. That seems to be too many consonants in a row. (Kinda like "BRLFQ".
It's unpronounceable in English.)

> > Are their any rules known concerning Klingon syllables? (for example
that they >> MUST start with a consonant or something...)

Once again, no rules per se, but I'll give you a quarter if you can find a
{tlhIngan Hol} word that starts with a vowel. (Remember, {'} is a full-
blown consonant).

> > If you'd want to put a glottal stop after /nga/ thus rendering
/nga'raqanI/

{nga'raqanI} vIparHa'. vuDlIj nuq, Ngarakkani?

--ngabwI'
HovpoH 699663.2

Back to archive top level