tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 13 06:44:07 2003

Tao Te Ching Chp. 66

66K

chay' wa'vatlh ngech ta' luDalaH bIQtIq bIQ'a' je?
ngech bIngDaq ratlhtaHmeH po'
vaj wa'vatlh ngech ta' lumojlaH.

vaj nuv pIn'a' mojqangchugh yajchu'wI'
jatlhtaHvIS toy'wI'chaj DanIS. [A]
nuv Devqangchugh
chaH tlha'nIS.
mIwvammo' pIn'a'chaj mojlaH
chaH ghatlhbe'taHvIS.
chaH DevlaH
waQbe'taHvIS.
mIwvammo' ghaH naDqang qo' Hoch
'ej naDtaHvIS not Doy'choH.
ghoHbe'mo' ghaH, ghaHmo' [B] ghoHlaH pagh.

66E

How can rivers and oceans be king of one hundred valleys?
They excel in staying below them.
That is why they can become their king.

Thus if the sage wishes to be the people's master
he has to talk to them like their servant.
If he wishes to lead them
he must follow behind them.
This way he can be their master
without oppressing them.
He can lead them
without blocking their way.
That is why the whole world is willing to praise him
and never tires of doing so.
Since he does not contend, no one can contend against [B] him.

[A] While the Chinese text allows for the master and servant interpretation
it literally talks about the sage being "above" and "below" the people.
However, I have no idea if UP and DOWN metaphors, so widespread in Terran
languages, would work in Klingon. That's why I decided against the following
rendition:

        vaj nuv DungDaq ratlhqangchugh yajchu'wI'
        jatlhtaHvIS nuv bIngDaq ratlhnIS.

        Thus if the sage wishes to be above the people
        he must in his words remain below them.

Yet I wonder ... would this interpretation work?

[B] {ghaHmo'} really means "because of him". I hope its meaning can be
stretched a little. If not, the line will have to be changed into something
like {ghoHbe'mo' ghaH, ghaH jeymeH ghoHlaH pagh.}