tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 11 13:25:57 2003

Re: Tao Te Ching Chp. 67

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: Tao Te Ching Chp. 67

>    For example, someone undergoing the Rite of Ascension says {tIqwIj
> Sa'angnIS} "I
>    must show you [plural] my heart". The pronominal prefix in this phrase
> is {Sa-},
>    which means "I [do something to] all of you"... but when there's
already an
>    object (in this case, {tIqwIj} "my heart"), the 'object' of the prefix
is
>    interpreted as the indirect object, so {Sa-} means "I [do something to]
> it for
>    you" or the like. (st.klingon 6/97)

It is interesting that this subject should come up. I just got a copy of PK,
and in it I heard, more than once, this very construction used with {nob}(to
give)

Ex.
ro'qegh 'Iw chab HInob
Give me the rokeg blood pie

This is the only example I can think of right now, but I know it occurs at
least 3 times on side one alone. So we know this type can work on {nob} and
{'ang}, but was Okrand presenting a general rule, or was this type of
construction specific to {'ang} and {nob}, and whatever other examples exist
in canon?

In short, can I say:

{tlhonDu'lIj qangeHlaH. tISqu' ngaSwI'.}
I can send you your nostrils. The container is very lightweight.

--ngabwI'
HovpoH 699656.0

Back to archive top level