tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 10 13:58:16 2003

RE: parmaqqay bomvaD

DloraH:

> KGT p16
> >>>
> ...  The Klingon Homeworld
> Qo'noS, usually rendered Kronos in Federation Stan-
> dard, is a planet with basically one very large mass of
> land surrounded by ocean; perhaps continent is a compa-
> rable concept. Within the land mass are distinct areas,
> some of which are demarcated geographically (divided
> by a mountain range, for example), while the boundaries
> of others seem rather arbitrary, the result, no doubt, of
> ancient power struggles.
> <<<

A language developing on a world with only a single (major) landmass would
more than likely never need a word for "continent". It is not necessary to
distinguish between different landmasses, since there aren't any. It is only
necessary to distinguish between land (puH) and sea (bIQ'a'). I do wonder
about islands, though. To describe an island, I usually use some variation
of <puH Dechbogh bIQ>.

Back to archive top level