tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 09 15:45:28 2003

Re: parmaqqay bomvaD

----- Original Message -----
From: "DloraH" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2003 3:43 PM
Subject: RE: parmaqqay bomvaD

> > since we know that in many languages the rules of grammar are often
> > stretched in poetry (the most famous example in Klingon is probably
> > <tlhonmey>).
>
> How does tlhonmey stretch grammar?
>
> Using -mey on there means "scattered about".
> It's weird, but grammatical.

I thought Okrand said in that section that using {mey} on nouns that
normally take {pu'} added the notion of "scattered all about". I believe the
example {tlhonmey} was given to show using {mey} with body parts could give
the idea of "scattered all about", but that it was not strictly grammatical.

TKD pg 23:

<<The suffix {mey} cannot be used with body parts. It should be noted,
however, that Klingon poets often violate this grammatical rule in order to
evoke particular moods in their poetry. Thus, forms such as {tlhonmey}
"nostrils scattered all about" do occur. Until the subtle nuances of such
constructions are firmly grasped, however, it is suggested that students of
Klingon stick to the rules.>>

--ngabwI'
HovpoH 699648.2

Back to archive top level