tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 08 12:52:57 2003

Tao Te Ching Chp. 14

14K

yIbej! 'oH leghlaH pagh [A]. HuvHa'wI' ponglu' [B].
yI'Ij! 'oH QoylaH pagh. chuSHa'wI' ponglu'.
yIHot! 'oH 'uchlaH pagh. SubHa'wI' ponglu'.
wej peghHommeyvam nuDlaH pagh [A].
tay'chu'mo' wa' pegh lumoj.

wovbe' 'oH Dung.
Hurghbe' 'oH bIng.
taH 'oH; mevbe'.
DaponglaHpa' pagh'a' mojqa'.

qaSbe'taHvIS qaStaH.
chenHa'taHvIS chentaH [C].
pegh HuvHa''e' yajlaHbogh pagh.

yIqaD! qab ghajbe'.
yItlha'! Dub ghajbe'.

mIw'a' tIQ Dajonchugh [D] DaHjaj qo' bIche'laH.
mung tIQ DaSovchugh, mIw'a' potlh DaSov.

14E

Look! It cannot be seen. It's name is the obscure.
Listen! It cannot be heard. It's name is the soundless.
Feel it! It cannot be grasped. It's name is the bodiless.
These three enigmas defy scrutiny.
Intermingled, they blend into one mystery.

Above it is not bright.
Below it is not dark.
Continuous and unceasing,
It reverts to nothingness before you can name it.

It's an occurrence of no occurrence.
It is a form that takes no form.
A shadowy mystery beyond comprehension.

Confront it! It has no face.
Follow it! It has no back.

If you grasp [D] the ancient Tao, you can rule the realm of today.
If you know the ancient beginnings, you know the essence of Tao.

[A]  {'oH leghlaH pagh}, {... nuDlaH pagh}: perhaps a more idiomatic way of
expressing these ideas would be to use {vay'}: {'oH leghlaHbe' vay'}, {...
nuDlaHbe' vay'}. After all , Kahless the Unforgettable is referred to as
{qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay'} and not {qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbogh pagh}. However,
using {pagh} allows for a little play of words: pegh – pagh.

[B] I hope the suffix trick works here. If not, the full structure will be
{'oHvaD HuvHa'wI' ponglu'} or, alternatively, {HuvHa'wI' 'oH pongDaj'e'}.

[C] {Dajonchugh}/if you grasp: the Chinese word  zhi2  means "hold, take
hold of, grasp, seize", which is why I decided to use {jon}, the additional
bonus being the associating with "capturing opportunities". The English
"grasp" can also mean "understand", which is not entirely out of place here.
Perhaps I should have tried to find something less ambiguous but I kind of
liked the inderterminacy.

[D] {qaSbe'taHvIS qaStaH}: lit. While it is not occurring it continues to
occur.
{chenHa'taHvIS chentaH}:  lilt. While it is unforming it continues to takes
form.
Since we do not know Klingon words for "shape" or "image" I found it was
really hard to translate words that say something like "it is a shape
without a shape" or "an imagless image " or "a form that has no form".

'ISqu'