tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 08 09:27:48 2003

Re: {nuq} in "What is" constructions

From: "Scott Willis" <[email protected]>
> In CK, Okrand gives the phrase {Dochvam nuq} with "What is this thing?" as
the  English translation, but later, in the hotel
> lobby dialogue, one line is {nuq mI'lIj, tera'ngan?} "What is your number,
Terran?". Which construction is correct? Does
> {nuq} take the place of the pronoun, as it does in most of the other
examples of {nuq} that I've seen, or does this
> construction only require the proximity of the interrogative and the noun
to get its point across? (Or is this an error in
> canon, ala Qanqor HoD?)

I can't for the life of my locate the source, but I'm certain we've had
confirmation from Marc Okrand that the /nuq/ and /'Iv/ work as "to be" just
as regular pronouns do.  It would seem not to matter what order you put the
words in.

SuStel
Stardate 3106.5

Back to archive top level