tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 06 11:11:00 2003

Re: Waiting for Things

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
> jIHvaD juH lungevqangchugh vIghoj 'e' vIloSlI'
> "I'm waiting to find out if they're willing to sell the home to me."
>
> I'm pretty confident that "I'm waiting for..." is { 'e' vIloSlI' }

Actually, you can't put a Type 7 suffix on the second verb of a Sentence As
Object construction.  The suffix migrates to the first verb.

> but
> it's the phrasing of "to learn/find out if..." I'm not so sure about.
>
> Maybe this would be better:
>
> jIHvaD juH lungevqang 'e' vIghoj 'e' vIloSlI'
> "I'm waiting to learn that they are willing to sell me the house."
>
> But that sounds to me like the outcome is too definite...  Ideas?  Or have
> I got it?

Well, we've heard from Okrand that /SIv/ can be used in this way:

jIHvaD juH lungevqang 'e' vISIv
I wonder if they're willing to sell the home to me?
(Remember, /juH/ is "home," not "house.")

We don't know if /ghoj/ can do the same thing.  Given the right context, I
wouldn't be too opposed to it myself.  But I think we can do it with /Sov/
too.

Or, you can split it up a little:

jIHvaD juH lungevqang wej 'e' vISov.  De' vIloSlI'.
I don't yet know if they're willing to sell me the home.  I'm waiting for
the information.

SuStel
Stardate 3101.2

Back to archive top level