tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 14:33:10 2003

jatlh in sentences

From: "d'Armond Speers" <[email protected]>
> Qe'Daq jabwI'vaD jIDel'eghmeH vegan jIH jIjatlh.

This sentence contains an interesting structure that may or may not be
correct in Klingon.

We know that verbs of saying and their quotations are separate sentences
that are used next to each other.  Here are the sentences in this example:

Qe'Daq jabwI'vaD jIDel'eghmeH jIjatlh
In order to describe myself to a waiter in a restaurant, I speak.

*vegan* jIH
I'm a vegan.

If we take the discussion in TKD about verbs of saying at face value, then
it would seem that the only two legitimate ways to say the full construct
would be

*vegan* jIH, Qe'Daq jabwI'vaD jIDel'eghmeH jIjatlh
Qe'Daq jabwI'vaD jIDel'eghmeH jIjatlh, *vegan* jIH

I think that even though we've learned to use the right verb prefix with
verbs of saying, we're still thinking of quotations as objects of the verb.

Is there any agreement, or does somebody have a good way to justify putting
the quotation between the verb and dependent clauses?

SuStel
Stardate 3315.0

Back to archive top level