tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 24 15:11:45 2003

Re: tam naDev...

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
> Note:  I used /wIghoHmeH/ instead of /maghoHmeH/ because I think the
> English clause "to argue" actually has an implied object of 'it' (in this
> case, 'something new')...  Another way to look at the English would be if
> it was "Do we need to have a new topic so that we can dispute it (that
> topic)?"  I think the use of /wI-/ is justified since I have a specific
> object for the dispute implied through context...  Maybe this is something
> to discuss?  ;)

Yeah, sure.  I don't think that being able to imply an object through
context allows you to give a verb an object.  Some verbs don't take objects,
and other verbs take specific objects.  There's probably an exact answer for
the verb /ghoH/ that we don't know.

Personally, I don't think that /ghoH/ takes an object.  Instead of */'oH
wIghoH/, say /'oHmoH maghoH/.

SuStel
Stardate 3312.3

Back to archive top level