tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 21 11:14:39 2003

Re: qatlh vay' vInuQ :)

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, David Trimboli wrote:
> > Ick.  There's one of those things.  */wISov Hoch/.  Bleah.  /Hoch/ is
not a
> > first person plural word.
>
> I meant to ask...  What's the deal with your point here?

I thought I stated it quite clearly.  I don't like the idea of using /Hoch/
as the subject of a verb with a first-person subject prefix.  /Hoch/ is not
a first-person plural word.

> Can you not say
> "all of us"?

Maybe you can't.  Maybe you have to establish who /maH/ refers to, and then
say /wISov/ "we know it."

> Should it have been "wISov Hoch maH"?

Maybe.  I'm not thrilled about this construction, either.  We know how
/Hoch/ works, and this isn't it.

> What's the alternative?

Recast.  Who says that Klingon has to have an equivalent to "all of us"?  We
don't have the tools for it.

I'd refer you to d'Armond Speers' HolQeD article on existential phrases in
Klingon, but you probably don't have it!

SuStel
Stardate 3303.6

Back to archive top level