tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 21 10:31:44 2003

RE: qatlh vay' vInuQ :)

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, DloraH wrote:
> "it"?  This sub-discussion here was about the "If".  You wanted to get rid
> of the "If".

No, I thought the sub-discussion was about /-vetlh/ referring to the if
clause...

> The "it" IS ambiguous, in both languages, that's why this discussion
> started.

Except that in the original, "it" wasn't used, "that event" was.

I think we've seesawed on this one enough.  I don't think we're going to
agree because no matter how you cut it, part of it is ambiguous.  I think
(I hope) we may have some concensus that using /-vetlh/ to refer to
something local to the statement is a little odd, but even if you remove
it, or use /-vam/ in its place, the resulting statement is still
ambiguous, and while my suggestions may remove some of the ambiguity, they
do not accurately reflect the original intent.  Point conceded.

Have the suffixes /-vatlh/ and /-vam/ been treated in any of the older
HolQeDs?  I wonder if there isn't a HolQeD article buried in this mound of
analysis somewhere...

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
            "Any sufficiently advanced form of magic is
                indistinguishable from technology."

Back to archive top level