tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 20 23:06:56 2003

RE: qatlh vay' vInuQ :)

> On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, DloraH wrote:
> > > Destroying.  "If" does not indicate an action is occurring or will
occur
> > > in the future.  I think any English teacher would agree with me on
this
> > > one.  If you wanted to refer to the act of thinking, the English would
> > > more likely be something like "It would be a rare occurrence *for*
mobs to
> > > think."  Or the event would be cast into a subject, "A mob that can
think
> > > is a rare occurrence."  I don't think the English is nearly as unclear
as
> > > the Klingon.
> >
> > "A mob that can think is a rare occurrence" implies that there are
indeed
> > mobs out there that can think, and that it is simply rare.  Using [if]
makes
> > it a hypothetical situation, "If a mob that could think did possibly
exist,
> > even tho they exist (in this hypothetical situation) it would be a rare
> > occurrence."
>
> You're implying that it's ambiguous, but your recast of the English does
> not disambiguate the issue, nor does it make your point clear.  Are you
> saying that you think it's ambiguous, or that it definitely must relate to
> the subordinate clause?
>
> If you were party to that conversation in real life, what would have been
> your interpretation of what "it" was?

"it"?  This sub-discussion here was about the "If".  You wanted to get rid
of the "If".

The "it" IS ambiguous, in both languages, that's why this discussion
started.

...And I WAS party to that conversation in real life; that's how we got to
this discussion.  Over e-mail the conversation just covers more time.  You
said when there is something ambiguous in a conversation you ask a question,
they give more info, and the conversation continues.  That's what we did;
it's just taking longer this way.  This whole thread could have happened,
just as it did, in person, face to face; the same misunderstanding, etc; it
just would have lasted only a couple minutes.

DloraH

Back to archive top level