tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 20 15:30:27 2003

Re: Kill me with a blunt object

From: "Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]>

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 01:56:40PM -0600, Beth Baisch, the tuftedpuffin
wrote:
> > I'm trying to get how to say "Kill me with a blunt object" in a few diff
> > langauges, and am wondering what the Klingon is :P I'd go translate it
> > myself but I'm low on sleep and high on stress so my mind won't work >.<
> > Plus I suck anyway!
> I'll take a shot.  How about this?
>
> choHoHmeH jejHa'bogh Doch yIlo'
>
> "Use a thing which is unsharp in order to kill me!"

This is a perfectly good sentence.  It emphasizes the object, rather than
the killing (which here is only a subordinate clause).  If you want to put
both parts on equal footing, try:

HIHoH!  Doch jejHa' yIlo'!
Kill me!  Use a blunt thing!

Where English uses one sentence, Klingon very frequently uses two.  Here's
another example of one English sentence for two Klingon sentences:

QaghmeylIj tIchID; yIyoH!
Have the courage to admit your mistakes.
(Literally, "Admit your mistakes; Be brave!")
(Notice also that here /yIyoH/ doesn't use the rule from KGT that says it
should be /yIyoH'eghmoH/.  This was written before Okrand came up with that
rule.)

SuStel
Stardate 3301.4

Back to archive top level