tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 16:03:41 2003

Re: Qapbe'qa'taH /MUSH/...

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>

> > jIQuch
> > I am happy.
> >
> > jIQuchchoH
> > I become happy.
> >
> > There's no indication that I'm *still* happy.  I don't need to say
> > /jIQuchchoHtaH/.
> >
> > jIQuchqa'
> > I resume being happy.  I was happy, that condition stopped, then it
started
> > again.
>
> I don't think they necessarily are exclusive, which you seem to be
> implying.

I'm not saying that.  I'm saying I see a lot of people combine Type 3's and
Type 7's, even though the Type 3's alone are what they really mean.

/-qa'/ doesn't just mean "again."  It means "resume."

> p37:
> "Suffixes of this type [Type 3: Change] indicate that the action described
> by the verb involves a change of some kind from the state of affairs that
> existed before the action took place."
>
> p42:
> "This suffix [-taH] indicates that an action is ongoing."
>
> So, "Qapbe'qa'taH":
>
> Qapbe' -- it isn't in operation
> Qapbe'qa' -- it isn't in operation again.

"It resumes not working."

> Qapbe'qa'taH -- It continues to be out of operation again.

> > Now, about your use of an object with /jeS/ . . . .
>
> I was wondering if someone was going to pick up on that.  ;)

chIch nuQwI' DaDa vaj 'e' DachID'a'?

SuStel
Stardate 3296.0

Back to archive top level