tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 14:14:03 2003

Re: Qapbe'qa'taH /MUSH/...

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>

> On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, David Trimboli wrote:
> > From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
> > > Qapbe'qa'taH /MUSH/...  tI'lu'meH poH noHlaH'a' vay'?
> >
> > A small note: I often see and hear people use /-qa'/ and /-taH/ like
this.
> > Remember that the primary meaning of /-qa'/ is "resume."  There was a
state
> > which changed, and now it's changing back.  You can say /Qapbe'qa' MUSH/
> > "The MUSH resumes not working," "The MUSH isn't working again."
>
> What's your point?  :)
>
> /Qapbe'qa'/ means "It stopped working again."  But there is no conveyance
> as to if that is still the case.

That's only because Klingon has no tense.  Klingon doesn't tell you if
something is "still" true.

jIQuch
I am happy.

jIQuchchoH
I become happy.

There's no indication that I'm *still* happy.  I don't need to say
/jIQuchchoHtaH/.

jIQuchqa'
I resume being happy.  I was happy, that condition stopped, then it started
again.

mutlha'taH chotwI'.  jIqettaH.  qach vIleghDI' qachDaq jISo''egh.
muSamlaHbe' chotwI'.  wa'maH tup pIq qachvo' jImej.  mulegh chotwI' 'ej ghIq
mutlha'qa'.  jIqetqa'.

> 'ach reH jIqarbejchugh, ja'chuqghach Daj wIjeSbe' qar'a'?

Now, about your use of an object with /jeS/ . . . .

SuStel
Stardate 3295.8

Back to archive top level