tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 13:22:20 2003

Re: Qapbe'qa'taH /MUSH/...

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, David Trimboli wrote:
> From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
> > Qapbe'qa'taH /MUSH/...  tI'lu'meH poH noHlaH'a' vay'?
>
> A small note: I often see and hear people use /-qa'/ and /-taH/ like this.
> Remember that the primary meaning of /-qa'/ is "resume."  There was a state
> which changed, and now it's changing back.  You can say /Qapbe'qa' MUSH/
> "The MUSH resumes not working," "The MUSH isn't working again."

What's your point?  :)

/Qapbe'qa'/ means "It stopped working again."  But there is no conveyance
as to if that is still the case.  Admittedly, I think it might be a
stretch to use /-qa'/ and /-taH/ together to mean "continues to be down
again"...

Perhaps more appropriately, it should've been /Qapbe'qa'pu'/ "It has
ceased functioning again"...

'ach reH jIqarbejchugh, ja'chuqghach Daj wIjeSbe' qar'a'?

But if I was to be 100% accurate all the time, we wouldn't have these
interesting discussions, no?  ;)

...Paul

 **        Have a question that reality just can't answer?        **
  "Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go instead where there
          is no path and leave a trail." -- Muriel Strode

Back to archive top level