tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 08:27:24 2003

Re: KLBC appositionals

This is not KLBC I'd say...

ngabwI' asked:
> Is this a legal sentence?
> {vImaq ngabwI'!}
> I, ngabwI', proclaim it!

I am not sure, but this looks wrong to me.
It seems to follow the pattern of object verb subject, but I've never seen
it with first person.

3rd person is clear:
 {Dulegh} "she sees you"
 {Dulegh be'Hom} "the girl sees you"
 {Dulegh be'Hom'e'} "she, the girl, sees you"
 or "as for the girl, she sees you"
 or "it's the girl that sees you"

But this is not an apposition, is it? for me, this looks like a normal
sentence.

maybe 2nd personworks the same?
 {Dalegh} "you see her"
 {Dalegh loDHom} "you boy see her"

THIS definitely looks WRONG to me, it sounds more like direct speech, "you
see her, boy" and not as an apposition "you, the boy, ..."

> More to the point: Can you make a first or second-person subject
> explicit like this?

Maybe the question is "How does one make an apposition in klingon?"
"we, the people, ..." in Klingon might be {maH tlhInganpu'}
Does that work?
Anyway, what about third person?
"they, the children, fight each other"
*Suvchuq chaH puqpu'*

I don't have tkd with me now, but in this sentence we have two subjects:
chaH and puqpu', while {chaH} replaces the {puqpu'} (hence called "pro-noun")

To emphasize someone, use the pronoun:
  {vImaq jIH} " *I* proclaim it "
and then you can just tell your name...................

This is hard, maybe I make it too hard...
How does an apposition work, and what does it mean literally??

  "we, the people, ..." =
  "WE want something, and WE means The People"

  "I, the BG, help you" =
  "I - who is the person whose duty is being BG or the title is BG - I help
you"

  "I, ngabwI', proclaim it!" =
  "My name is ngabwI' and I proclaim it."

  "You, the captain, command us" =
  "you're the captain and you command us"

And now I'd suggest to translate this above "idea" (not the words literally)
into klingon.

This is a very interesting question, I hope others will also comment,
because I feel like I'm stuck on the idea, and perhaps I've forgotten something.

Quvar
  Beginners' Grammarian