tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 15 15:24:39 2003

Re: 'aH tIQ

> >   DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'
> >  "Set fire on the side when there is danger."  PK

...Paul:
>Literally, "Create a fire on the side while the situation is dangerous."
>I have no problem with this, because "situation" is generic, which is
>appropriate because the intent is generic.
>
>Note that in none of the three examples, /-vam/ or /-vetlh/ are used.
>They're referring to either a specific event or situation (/Hegh wanI'/),
>or a generic event or situation (/ghu'/, as above).

Although Paul is right in that there are no known examples of {ghu'} or
{wanI'} used with {-vam} or {vetlh}, there is one example with a possessive
suffix to refer to a specific situation.  Azetbur tells General Grokh
during the emergency cabinet meeting aboard Kronos One following Gorkon's
assassination in an un-subtitled line from ST6:

   ghu'maj Dayajbe'law', Sa'.
   [You don't seem to grasp our situation, General.] ST6

(The translation BTW appears in J.M. Dillard's novelization, which was
surely based on a copy of Nicholas Meyer & Denny Martin Flinn's screenplay.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level