tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 14 10:28:19 2003

Re: Tao Te Ching Chp. 30

> > > yobHa'choHlu' rInDI' noH Dun.
> > > Bad harvests follow in the wake of great wars.
> >
> > KGT p46
> > noH - a specific war
> > veS - war, in general
>
> {veS} is the CONCEPT of war, warfare, whereas {noH} describes an event, or
> events.  It needn't specify WHICH war, but it's certainly a war, not the
> concept of war.  The original sentence says {rInDI' noH Dun} "when wonderful
> wars are finished."  I think this works just fine.  If it were {rInDI' veS
> Dun}, you'd have said "when wonderful warfare is finished," but when is the
> concept of war ever finished?  I feel certain that {rIn noH} can happen, but
> {rIn veS} doesn't.

After re-reading that section I now agree.

p47

   Thus, it is possible to say noH ghob or noH Suv,
both meaning "He/she fights a war," or may' ghob or
may' Suv, meaning "He/she fights a battle," but it is not
normally acceptable to say veS ghob ("He/she fights a
warfare") or vIq Suv ("He/she fights a combat").
<<<

What threw me off was when it said that noH was an "individual or specific"
war; instead of a/any/all wars in the physical realm.

DloraH

Back to archive top level