tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 14 09:28:34 2003

Re: Tao Te Ching Chp. 30

From: "DloraH" <[email protected]>
> > yobHa'choHlu' rInDI' noH Dun.
> > Bad harvests follow in the wake of great wars.
>
> KGT p46
> noH - a specific war
> veS - war, in general

{veS} is the CONCEPT of war, warfare, whereas {noH} describes an event, or
events.  It needn't specify WHICH war, but it's certainly a war, not the
concept of war.  The original sentence says {rInDI' noH Dun} "when wonderful
wars are finished."  I think this works just fine.  If it were {rInDI' veS
Dun}, you'd have said "when wonderful warfare is finished," but when is the
concept of war ever finished?  I feel certain that {rIn noH} can happen, but
{rIn veS} doesn't.

SuStel
Stardate 3284.2

Back to archive top level