tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 01 13:21:28 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: Do' (v)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, March 27, 2003.
>
>Klingon word:   Do'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be fortunate, lucky

As used in canon:

   maDo'Ha'
   We are (always) unlucky. TKD

   maDo'be'
   We are not lucky. TKD

   maDo'choH
   We are becoming lucky.
   We are undergoing a turn of luck. TKD

   bach Do', qaH
   A lucky shot sir... ST3

   maDo'chugh QeHchoH wa'.
   If we're lucky, one will get angry. CK

{Do'Ha'} "be unfortunate, be unlucky" in canon:

   DaDo'Ha'moHlu'
   You've been made unlucky
   someone/something causes you to be unlucky  KGT

   Do'Ha'.
   [That's] Unfortunate. ST3

   De' lI' Sovlu'DI' chaq Do'Ha'.
   Knowledge of useful information may be unfortunate. PK

Note the adverbials {Do'} "luckily, with luck" and {Do'Ha'} "unfortunately".

AFAIK, there is no noun for "luck" or "fortune" - good or bad - but we do
have {San} "fate".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons