tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 20 11:28:34 2002

Re: Temptress of the stars - text

At 01:50 AM Friday 9/20/02, Quvar wrote:

>Am 19.09.2002 16:48:46, schrieb [Voragh]:
> >>1.a) HaStaDaq be' 'IH ghaH
> >>"She was beautiful on the screen"
> >
> > HaStaDaq 'IH be'.
> > he woman is/was beautiful on the visual display (on monitor).
>
>this could be confused with {'IHbe'} "she is not nice". What I wrote above
>means "At the screen, she was a nice woman."

{'IH} doesn't mean "be nice, pleasant", it means "be beautiful, handsome",
the opposite of
{moH} "be ugly".  Exx.:

   'IH, qar'a'?
   It's beautiful, isn't it? CK

   'IH be'nallI'
   Your wife is beautiful. KGT

> >{latlh} is "another one".  Another what?  Try:
>
>Can it not stand alone? like {latlh vIneH} "I want another one."

Of course it can stand alone, but it still needs an antecedent:  Another
one?  Another what?
Here's your text:

 >> 10.a) wItlha'  we followed her
 >> 10.b) matlha'  we followed
 >>
 >> 11. jegh latlh, jegh latlh je. one by one surrendered

I assume you mean "another one of us" surrendered, but you haven't actually
said that "one of us surrendered" before this.

BTW, line 10a is a good place to add an object:  {be' wItlha'} "we
followed/chased the woman".

> >I think plain {tatlh} "return (something)" works here.  Okrand wrote int he
> >same st.klingon post:
>
>What about {cheghmoH}? "cause to return"? Oh no, transitive verb with
>{-moH} could be no good.

Well, this is an old argument.  Some on the List think that you can add
{-moH} to an action verb, others think you can't.  For example, since
{ghItlh} means to "write, inscribe", would *{ghItlhmoH} mean "cause
(someone) to write (something)" (e.g. to dictate a letter to a
secretary)?  If so, what then would be the object of *{ghItlhmoH}: the
letter or the secretary?  Check the list archives to read all the
discussion on this over the years.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons