tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 19 16:32:54 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: tova'Daq (n)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, September 17, 2002.
>
>Klingon word:   tova'Daq
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     mind sharing

   Thus, Federation Standard has no word meaning the same as Klingon
   tova'Daq, a sort of mind sharing or insight into one another's
   thoughts" (KGT 204)

   ...there are some words that simply do not translate. One must resort
   to descriptions rather than simple one- or two-word translations, and
   one must be a quite facile in the language and knowledgeable of the
   culture to understand the concepts. The Klingon notion of sharing of
   minds noted above, tova'Daq, is an example of such a word. (KGT 207)

*Tova'dok* was discussed in DS9 "Soldiers of the Empire".  IIRC it refers
to an instinctual feeling in combat, referring - please correct me if I'm
wrong - to the feeling one gets when looking your opponent in the eyes and
knowing a fraction of a second before he does just what move he's going to
make.

{tova'Daq} is probably the word a Klingon would use to refer to a Vulcan
mind-meld, other than describing it awkwardly: e.g. {yabDu'chaj muv
vulqanganpu'} "The Vulcans are joining their minds".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level