tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 17 08:30:26 2002

Re: Help with translation

> >jan QIHbe'lu'pu'bogh DatI'taHqu'
> >  A device which hasn't been damaged, you will be fixing forever.
> >
> >jan QIHbe'lu'pu'chugh DatI'taHqu'
> >  If a device hasn't been damaged, you will be fixing it forever.
>
> Why is the "-lu' " needed btw? The subject is known, isn t it?

Is it?  So tell me, who is it that is breaking/not breaking the device?
Is it the "you" implied on the second verb?  If so, what if someone else broke
it?  If you refer to "him", what if "I" intervene?

TKD section 4.2.5

"  This suffix is used to indicate that the subject is unknown,
indefinite, and/or general."

-lu' doesn't only mean that it is unknown.  Note the "and/or general".

> >Because your choices are -chugh or -bogh, you lose the symmetry anyways.
> ghuy'cha'
> What would happen if I added a "-ghach" at the end of the last verb? It
> would make a noun(rather a DIpqoq) out of it, somehow saving the
> symmetry(chugh/ghach).
> Doesn t sound good either, does it? I suppose I better cease trying to
> translate it.
>
> Well, doesn t seem to work in klingon, perhaps in a few years(when I
> am better at understanding it). Thanks for the help.

The problem is "translating".  For symmetry and poetry one needs to create the
art using the language, and not translate it from another langauge.
In english "pie" and "try" rhyme, but in klingon they don't.
In english we don't have a word that rhymes with "orange", but in klingon we do.

And if you added -ghach to the last verb, your sentence wouldn't have a main
verb anymore.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level