tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 13 07:13:48 2002

Re: Aw: Re: lugh

>Quvar explained:
> > 1 + 1 = 2 (lughbej 'oH)
> >   The answer is *right*
> >   Die Antwort ist *richtig*
> >
> > 3 + 7 = 98 (lughbe'bej 'oH. muj'a'?)
> >   The answer is *wrong*
> >   Die Antwort ist *falsch*
> >   Die Antwort ist *nicht richtig*
> >
>this is roughly a true<->false oppsition, whereas...
>
> > Someone says: "1 + 1 = 2" (lughbej ghaH)
> > Someone else answers: You are *right*
> > Someone else answers: Du hast *recht*
> >
> > Someone says: "3 + 7 = 98" (lughbe'bej ghaH. muj'a'?)
> > Someone else answers: You are *wrong*
> > Someone else answers: Du hast *unrecht*
> > Someone else answers: Du hast *nicht recht*
> >
>this is more of an agree<->disagree opposition;
>
>the former is more objective, the latter more subjective.

I'm no expert on German (I took a course in college, but that's all), but I
don't think this is correct.

'ist richtig' means that the subject itself is right (in quality or
character).
'hat recht' means that the subject's position on an issue is correct.

Either one could be subjective or objective.

I've been using {lugh} for both of these meanings.  You can do that in
English and in Finnish:

The answer is right.
You are right.

Vastaus on oikea.
Sinä olet oikea.

I not sure whether in French you can say:
La réponse a raison.
It sounds strange to me.  I prefer:
La réponse est correcte.

I'm pretty sure Klingon doesn't have expressions like 'a raison'/'hat
recht', on the pattern of 'have heat', 'have cold', 'have hunger' in some
languages (versus 'be hot', 'be cold', 'be hungry' in English), since the
expressions for those three concepts involve single stative verbs in
Klingon.

So if there is a difference like the German 'ist richtig'/'hat recht', it's
certainly that there is a stative verb for each concept.  However, since MO
has not provided us with two separate verbs for this, I think we're safe in
using {lugh} for both concepts.