tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 31 04:40:58 2002

Re: -ngan Suffix

At 04:52 AM 10/31/2002 -0500, Thomas West wrote:

>Well, in English for example we call our planet Earth, but most of us
>would identify our species as human or mankind rather than Earthling,
>Earthers, or Terrans. But for example in Spanish la Tierra, terrícolas,
>and in French, la Terre, les Terriens.

According to my English dictionary, the English word "human" may be related
to the Latin word "humus" - earth.

I believe in one of the early issues of HolQeD, someone mentioned the
etymological origin of the word {tlhIngan}, theorizing that it could have
come from {tlhIl ngan}. You could probably translate this as
"earth/rock/soil inhabitant" or maybe even "earthling". I think this theory
is no more silly than a planet or city named "Kling" :-)

- taD

Back to archive top level