tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 30 06:42:02 2002

Re: ngan

>>This is my first message to the list.
>    Welcome to the list, maQ. I haven't seen you yet, but you should >know
>me, if you have been lurking. I am Quvar, the current Beginners'
> >Grammarian. It's my job to help beginners here with Klingon. You can >add
>the letters "KLBC" to your subject line whenever you want me to >check your
>work, or if you have a question about how to say something >in Klingon. If
>possible,you should also include what you were trying >to say, in English.
>This will make it easier for me to make sure that >you say what you are
>trying to say. Just for the record: what is your >native language?

I speak English, with a slight southern accent.  ;)

>If you haven't done so already, I suggest you read the list's FAQ on
>http://www.bigfoot.com/
>~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

>And, of course, visit http://www.kli.org, the KLI'S website.

Have done so.  I've learned by now to join these things prepared.

>>The Klingon dictionary I ordered hasn't yet arrived, so I thought
>So I guess you have no other language resources either?
>On the FAQ, you find a list of klingon language ressources. The most
> >importantis TKD though. That's the plce to start.

Not yet, other than my inadequate memory of reading some of the TKD  and
Hamlet at various times in the last few years.  I was broke at the last few
times either was in the bookstore.

>>Is the -ngan suffix
>It's a noun...

Oops.  It always seems to be attached.

>>intended only for planetary residence, or is it a more general term?  That
>>is, would it be proper to refer to someone as,
>...it means "inhabitant", so I'm sure it can also refer to a city. >From
>KGT (Klingon for the Galactic Traveler) we know that also Gre'thor can have
>inhabitants, so it's not >only restricted to planets:

>   page 130:
>    {quvHa'; ghe'tor ngan rur}
>    "dishonored as an inhabitant of Gre'thor"

Hmmm.  Interesting.  I was curious, but couldn't find any examples except
for racial names.

>>instance, amerIqangan? (Aside from the ugly transliteration >question.)
>You're right, transliterations are not so good (read the FAQ). We >usually
>write english words in *asterisks*, so everyone sees it's no >klingon.  And
>{*America* ngan} "inhabitant of America" is correct
>Sometimes people write it in one word, but there's no rule for that.

Read that part too...just wasn't sure about format for a partial
transliteration like that.  Will be more careful in the future.

>>know this is getting a bit ahead of things, but until my dictionary
>I'm sure you will find something to ask :-)

We'll see.

maQ

Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now!