tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 28 15:08:22 2002

Tao Te Ching; Chp. 2

2K

chal [A] bIngDaq [B] moHbogh Dol lutu'lu'mo' 'IHlaw' Dol 'IH.[C]
mIghbogh Dol lutu'lu'mo' QaQlaw' Dol QaQ. [C]
boghchuqmoH ghajHa'ghach HutlhHa'ghach je. [D]
naQchuqmoH QatlhwI' ngeDwI' je.
chenchuqmoH tIqwI' runwI' [E] je.
Qutlhchuq jenwI' 'eSwI' je.
'eychuqmoH wab ghogh je.
tlha'chuq tlhop 'em je.

vaj vangbe' yajchu'wI'.
tamtaHvIS ghojmoH.
DaqDajDaq Qap wa'netlh Doch [F] 'ej bIH nISbe'.

chenmoH yajchu'wI' 'ach ghajqangbe'.
vum 'ach naD lajbe'.
rInDI' ta'Daj, 'oH lIj.
vaj reH taH 'oH.

2E

Under heaven beauty seem beautiful because there is ugliness.
Goodness seems good because there is wickedness.
Having and not having beget one another.
Difficult and easy complement each other.
The long and the short give rise to each other.
The high and the low support each other.
The voice and the sound harmonize each other.
Front and back follow one another.

Therefore the sage takes no action
and teaches without words.
The ten thousand things flourish where he is without his interference.

The sage creates yet claims no ownership.
He toils yet takes no credit.
When his *deed/work [G] is done, it is forgotten.
Therefore it lasts forever.

[A]: I'll need to take a look at every instance of "tian" in Tao Te Ching
and decide if it can be rendered by a single word, such as {chal}, DloraH's
{chal'a'} or ghunchu'wI''s {chalDung}. I might end up using different words,
though.

[B]: {chal bIngDaq}; (Chinese "tian xia"):  The Chinese idiom could also be
rendered as {'u'Daq} or {Dat} or even {wo'Daq}. I decided that the literal
translation is not only understandable but gives the text a quaint alien
feel, which I like.

[C]: {moHbogh Dol/ Dol 'IH/ mIghbogh Dol/ Dol QaQ}:  I'm uncertain
if these phrases really work here. Another option would be to use
{-ghached} forms but I find it hard to decide which suffix would make the
most sense: 'IHtaHghach? 'IHqu'ghach? 'IHchu'ghach? etc.

[D]: {ghajHa'ghach, HutlhHa'ghach}:  The nominalizer {-ghach} seems to work
in this context but perhaps {ghajbe'ghach, Hutlhbe'ghach} are better.

[E]: I'm not sure if {tIq} and {run} can be viewed as a pair of opposites.
If not, it'll have to be either {nI'wI', ngajwI'} or {tIqwI', tIqHa'wI'}.

[F]: Another Chinese idiom referring to "everything" "all creation". Perhaps
{wa'netlh Dol} would work better.

[G]: I occasionally have problems with the English translation, too. I'll
probably stick with "deed".

'ISqu'

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!