tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 26 02:15:32 2002

Re: KLBC - N5's

Am 24.11.2002 18:14:46, schrieb "Gina Robertson" <[email protected]>:

>> I will give the cadet my old knife.
>mangHomvaD vInob tajwIj ngo'
Word order: the verb follows its object. The object (what is given) is the knife
    {tajwIj ngo' vInob}
    "I give my old knife"

    {mangHomvaD tajwIj ngo' vInob}
    "To the cadet I give my old knife"

>> He is afraid to try because of the evil omen.
>(omen)mo' mIgh nIDvIp.
>"omen" vItu'be'.
>I can't find omen.
I don't remember the source, but there is a word {maQmIgh} "dark omen (sign of evil coming)" (it has never been used
in canon)

>> I will put the knife on his red uniform.
>tajDaq HIpDaj Doq vItuQmoH.
Now you've mixed a little.
What you say is "on the knife, I put his red uniform on."
Note: "to put something on something" is not that same as "to put something on".
The first is about "placing", the second about "dressing".

#5 suffix {-Daq} is attached to the place where the action is. So, this is "next to me". You've attached it to "his uniform".
Just put it on the right place, and the sentence is correct.

>> I am not a Ferengi.
>not really, am I supposed to?
Yes, you are! ;-)

>Is it possible to say "jIHbe' verengan"?
>There is no verb, so I'm not sure what to do.
Section 6.3 tell us that "There is no verb corresponding to English "to be" in Klingon. On the other hand, all pronouns
(section 5.1) can be used as verbs, in the sense of "I am, you are," etc."
While these pronouns are used as verbs, we can treat them like verbs.
   {verengan jIH}
   "I am a ferengi"

   {verengan jIHbe'}
   "I am not a ferengi"