tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 25 13:39:23 2002

Re: jIqeq (I practice)

Gina wrote:

Since you didn't flag this with "KLBC", I'll respond.

>qeqvaD(unsure if this can be done since practice is a verb) neH mu'
>vIyu'laH qeqlu'?
>qeq was the only word i could find for practice, so I used it.

I don't understand exactly what you're trying to say, but it seems to be
something like "Can I use this word just for practice?"

Unlike English, you can't make nouns out of verbs by just adding the noun
suffixes to a verb.  If you don't have the noun you need, you have to
rethink the sentence a bit and phrase it using the verb, which we call
"re-casting" here on the List.  So instead of saying "for practice" using
the noun, use the verb and try to say the same thing:  {jIqeqmeH} "[in
order] for [me to] practice, in order that I practice".  Thus:

   jIqeqmeH neH, mu'vam vIlo'laH'a'?
   Can I use this word just for practice?
   ("In order that I merely practice, am I able to use this word?")

>lugh (is this)?
>Is this right?

When asking a yes-or-no question, don't forget to tag the verb with {-'a'}:

   lugh.
   It is right.

   lugh'a'?
   Is it right?

And to make the subject more explicit:

   lugh'a' mu'tlheghvam?
   Is this sentence right?
   ("Is it right, this sentence?")

Think of it as an added clue to the listener - aside from intonation - that
you're asking a question and not making a statement.  In English, we give
this clue by changing the order of the words but, since Klingon word order
is quite rigid, {-'a'} acts as a sort of a spoken question mark.

--
Voragh                            "All the meaning is in the context."
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons           (Ilya Kabakov, Russian artist)

Back to archive top level