tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 18 16:03:15 2002

another option

Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:59:10 -0800 (PST)
To: [email protected]
From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: QeD De'wI' ngermey

[,,,]

>If you were to really study a language, such as
English, you look into things like etymology and the evolution of the
language over time.  You look into things like "When did the past tense of
'sneak' change from 'sneaked' to 'snuck'?" or "How did the silent e rule
drop from words like 'faire'?"

this stuff goes WAY beyond "really studying a language", but it's a good
point.

>But what if I want to translate or author something that includes concepts
not currently covered by the Klingon language?  What am I to do if I
wanted to add a paper on "Software Engineering for Klingons" to the pool
of material available in the language?  It sounds like your opinion is
that I shouldn't write such a thing either because a) there will be no way
for me to translate the various concepts or b) I would have to "invent" my
own idioms to do it.

a variant of option "b" is to create terms, using existing material as much
as possible, and providing a definition for it IN klingon in the body of the
work.  that's one way new terms are added to natlangs, especially in
technical writing of the sort you are considering.
>...Paul

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level