tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 18 13:19:11 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: qawmoH (v)

> >    tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
> >    He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20
>
> Whoa, did anyone catch this application of direct object/indirect object
> with qawmoH?  I just saw this in the thread on Complex Sentences,
> using this exact example:
> Here, however, we see more of the application of { qaw } with the usual
> application of { -moH }, where the usual subject of the verb is now
> treated as the object, to reflect the causal relation.  { qaw quHDaj }
> "His heritage is remembered" { quHDaj qawmoH 'oH } "It causes his heritage
> to be remembered" { ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH } "It causes his heritage to
> be remembered for him/It reminds him of his heritage".

But see how you are changing the definition from "remember" to "be remembered".
With "remember" the subject is doing the action.
With "be remembered" the subject is receiving the action.

And this goes on and on.  Blood has already been spilled over this one.  Let's
not dig up the horse's decaying carcass so we can get in one more kick.

...Which is why I offered two sentences; both grammatically correct.

DloraH

Back to archive top level