tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 12 13:48:56 2002

Re: Frasier

> > langlIj lutebjaj langwIjvaD bel rap,
> > Sov'a' Danobqu'bogh.
> >

> Correction.  {lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov'a' Danobpu'bogh} is
> one sentence and I took only the first part of it earlier.  The final
> verb {nob} is important.
>
> While {lengwIjvaD} would be in the header position for the sentence
> portion {lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov'a' Danob}, this sentence shows that whole
> sentences can be used as the nominative of a larger sentence, w/o any {'e'}
> construction present.

The "same pleasure and wisdom" is/are the noun of the main verb /teb/.  The
rest of your *sub-sentence* is just a -bogh relative clause.

TKD p63

  The whole construction (relative clause plus head noun), as
a unit, is used in a sentence as a noun.
<<<

A -bogh clause describes a noun.  That noun is in turn used as a ... noun for
another (main) verb.
'e' allows us to refer to the ACTION of a verb, for another (main) verb.

Sup SajwIj 'e' vImuS
The verb "hate" is refering to the "jumping".  I like the pet; I just don't
like that it jumps.

Supbogh vIghro' vImuS
In this one, it's the noun (the cat) that I hate.  I don't mind the jumping.  I
like Sargh that jump; and that cat over there I like.  Huh?  Two cats?  Which
one do I hate?  That one that happens to be jumping right now.

As for the -vaD.  -vaD words modify the verbs.  A /-bogh/ed verb modifies one
of it's nouns.

Canon:

loS...qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
retlhDaq 'oHtaH.  HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut
tengchaH.  vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'.  veH Qav 'HutoH logh'e'.

It waits...on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to unknown regions of
the universe, space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human adventure into
space--the final frontier.
<<<

In the first sentence /He/ is a noun.  /ghoSlu'bogh/ modifies the noun /He/.
The /lenglu'meH/ also modifies the noun /He/.  /'u' Sep/ is the object of that -
meH verb; and that object noun is in turn modified by yet another -bogh verb.
And that whole mess is used as a single "noun" in a locative.

DloraH

Back to archive top level