tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 11 16:03:39 2002

Re: KLBC: Worst Case Scenarios

>>SopmeH joch'a'?
>>Is this harmful to eat?
>
>For who to eat?  Remember, you can conjugate a {-meH}'ed verb:
>
>   vISopmeH joch'a' Sojvam?
>   Is this food harmful for me to eat (it)?
>
>   vISopmeH joch'a'?
>   Is it harmful for me to eat (it)?
>
>Although this sounds a little awkward in English, it's perfectly fine in
>Klingon.

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but doesn't this fall into
the /QIpmeH Qatlh'a'?/ problem?  That is, don't these really mean

vISopmeH joch'a' Sojvam?
Is this food harmful in order that I eat it?

That is, the purpose of the food being harmful is that I eat it.  That's
clearly not what is meant.

How about

Sojvam vISopchugh joch'a' Sojvam?
If I eat this food, is it harmful?

(If you want to drop the redundant /Sojvam/ -- remember, though, this sort
of redundancy is perfectly acceptable in Klingon -- say

Sojvam vISopchugh joch'a'?
If I eat this food, is it harmful?

Of course, the food is harmful whether or not I eat it, so I'd suggest
something like

Sojvam vISopchugh muropmoH'a'?
Will this food make me sick if I eat it?

or

Sojvam vISopchugh murIQmoH'a'?
Will this food injure me if I eat it?

SuStel