tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 11 05:09:37 2002

Re: KLBC - mu'tlheghmey Qav

ghItlh QaroH:

>Quvar, 29.10.:
>Try to translate "Identify the vessel which you use in order to travel."
>Duj lengmeH Dalo'bogh yIngu'
majQa'. loQ bIQagh neH.
Very good! You only have the wrong word order, but that's all.

Read TKD section 6.2.4:
"The purpose clause always precedes the noun or verb whose purpose it is describing."

This means that the verb with {-meH} comes before the noun. This looks very similar to the english
form "travelling-ship": {lengmeH Duj}

This is also explained in the same section of TKD:

    {ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jagh la'} <The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer.>

The prase {ja'chuqmeH rojHom} "a truce (in order) to confer" is the object of the verb {neH} "he/she
wants it;" the subject is {jaghla'} "enemy commander." The object is a noun {rojHom} "truce"
preceeded by the purpose clause {ja'chuqmeH} "for the purpose of conferring" or "in order to
confer."

>Quvar, 7.11.:
>tlhIngan HolwIj vIDubbejlI'
>I am undoubtedly improving my tlhIngan Hol.
Oh, interesting! You also have a tlhIngan Hol yourself? ;-)
I think this sentence has caused trouble for many people. You cannot possess a language, nor can you
improve it. One can improve a skill, the word for "ability" is {laH} (yes, like the #5 suffix).
And, besides of that, I think you need to change nothing in your sentence.

>Surname:
>'o'vo' DalaDchugh *Horak* DIvI' juH'a'wIj pong *QaroH* 'oH
>QaroH is my official house name *Horak* if you read it from the end.

first vocabulary,
  {juH} is your "home", which can be the house you live in, or even the city.
  {tuq} is "house", like house name {tuq pong}.
now grammar.
Your sentence is alittle mixed up, but that's okay, you have a lot of words there :-)
But you seem to still have trouble with To-be-sentences, which is understandable. You really need to
think completely different. This is my way of explaining it; Attention, lurkers! *hint* :-)

  "A is B" changes to "As for A, it is B"

Now, we start with the verb. Hm? There is no verb "to be"! Yes, but there are pronouns, and "all
pronouns can be used as verbs, in the sense of <I am, you are,> etc. (TKD 6.3)". The object preceeds
the verb, as usual:
    {*B* 'oH}
    "it is B"
This makes sense, don't it? {'oH} = "it is"
Now follows the question, *what* "is B"? What we had above was "As for A, it is B". This "As-for"-
phenomenon is a way to translate the "topic marker" {-'e'} TKD section 6.3:<<<<If the subject is a
noun, it follows the third-person pronoun ({ghaH} "he/she," {'oH} "it," {chaH} "they," {bIH} "they")
and takes the {-'e'} "topic" suffix (see section 3.3.5).>>>>

{*A*} = "(enter subject here)"
{*A*'e'} = "as for THE (enter subject here)"
i.e. it is the (enter subject here) that I am talking about

So, all together, "A is B" is {*B* 'oH *A*'e'}
(note that we are talking about things, because of the pronoun {'oH} "it")

A simple example makes it clear:

   Quvar 'oH pongwIj'e'
   My name is Quvar.
   "It is Quvar, as for my name.

----
Your sentence:
>'o'vo' DalaDchugh, *Horak* DIvI' tuq pong *QaroH* 'oH
>QaroH is my official house name *Horak* if you read it from the end.
From the explanations above, we have different things:
1. the subordinate clause which canbe first or last part. In this case, I prefer last.
"...if you read it from the end."
{'o'vo' DalaDchugh}
2. A: "QaroH is my..."
QaroH
3. B "... is my official house name *Horak*..."
*Horak* DIvI' tuq pongwIj
"Horak, my federation house name"

---> *B* 'oH *A*'e'
*Horak* DIvI' tuq pongwIj
'oH
QaroH'e'
'o'vo' DalaDchugh

*Horak* DIvI' tuq pongwIj 'oH QaroH'e', 'o'vo' DalaDchugh.
or
'o'vo' DalaDchugh *Horak* DIvI' tuq pongwIj 'oH QaroH'e'

I hope, my explanations were understandable, or made sense to someone. Ask me if there's something
unclear.

>My mistakes which are corrected
>QaghmeywIj lughlu'bogh
Yes. almost correct.
{lugh} is "be correct"
When I correct mistakes, then I "cause them to be correct". So we take our #4 suffix -moH, and we
get:
{lughmoH} "cause s.th. to be correct"

   {QaghmeywIj lughmoHlu'bogh}

Now, this can mean many things of course, but you can emphasize that they *have been* corrected
already, using #7 aspect marker {-pu'} or even {-ta'}. Section 4.2.7. tells you how.

   DaH QaghmeylIj vIlughmoHta'.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH