tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 04 16:39:53 2002

Re: peD

Since no one else has answered, I'll give this a shot:

QantoH wrote:
>naDev *Germany*Daq SIS 'oH. vImuS.
>Here in Germany it is raining. I hate it.
>
>I hope this is correct, but how can I say "Here in Germany it is raining all
>day"?  I tried to figure out, but I have no idea.

You need to use either {qaStaHvIS X} "while X happens/is happening"

   qaStaHvIS jaj naQ SIStaH.
   During the entire day ("while the entire day happens") it rains
continuously.

or a time stamp:

   Hoch jaj SIStaH.
   Every day (each day) it rains continuously.

   Hoch jajmey SIStaH.
   All the days it rains continuously.

or both:

   qaStaHvIS Hoch jaj SIS.
   During every day (each day) it rains.

   qaStaHvIS Hoch jajmey SIStaH.
   During all the days it rains continuously.

maQ:
 > <<DaHjaj SIStaH.>> means "Today it continues to rain." Since *-taH* does not
 > suggest any stopping point, one would probably assume that it will rain
at least
 > for all of today.  Anybody wanna correct the newbie?

Or it continues to rain from some time in the past up to and including
today.  (I.e. it started to rain 3 days ago and it's still raining today
without stopping.)

DloraH sent us a note once on how {SIS} "rain" works based on a discussion
with Marc Okrand at some convention in May of 1998:

   It rained a few times during the weekend, so we were put into the
   situation to discuss it. SIS. SISqu'. SIStaH. SISchoH. All correct.
   SISlu', although grammatically correct, he didn't particularly like...
   You can also give it an object and say things like the clouds rained
   down cats and dogs... or something like that; you get the idea. But
   when Marc and I went outside and drops of water were falling on us,
   he looked up and simply said 'SIS'."

Presumably, the verb {peD} "snow" works the same way.  Note that there is
no stated subject.  "It is raining" is just {SIS}; do not add {'oH} "it".

QantoH is almost right with his first sentence:

   naDev GermanyDaq SIS.
   Here in Germany it is raining.  (simple statement of fact)

maQ is also right in that one can say:

   naDev GermanyDaq SIStaH.
   Here in Germany it is raining continuously.
   Here in Germany it continues to rain.

i.e. it has been raining non-stop for some time now.

QantoH's second sentence is a bit trickier.  "I hate it."  What does "it"
refer to?  Not the subject of {SIS} "It is raining," which is
unstated.  What you hate is the weather, which is either {muD} or {muD
Dotlh}.  Okrand discussed this briefly in HolQeD 2.4:

   The Klingon word for "weather" meaning the state of the atmosphere, is
   the same as the word for "atmosphere" itself, {muD}. When inquiring
   about specific weather conditions at a specific time and/or place, the
   expression {muD Dotlh} (literally, "atmosphere status") is used.

So you can say:

   muDvam vImuS.
   I hate this weather. (in general)

   DaH muD Dotlhvam vImuS.
   I hate this weather right now.

or you can say more generally:

   ghu'vam vImuS.
   I hate this situation.

   wanI'vam vImuS.
   I hate this phenomenon/event/occurrence.

--
Voragh                            "All the meaning is in the context."
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons           (Ilya Kabakov, Russian artist)

Back to archive top level