tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 30 15:32:53 2002

RE: KLBC: noH Qujmey

Aaahhhh... yes... I knew something was wrong with that...

> A style note:  When using a relative {-bogh} clause with an
> object like
> this, consider tagging {SuvwI'pu'} with the topic marker
> {-'e'} to indicate
> the precise object of the main verb {nej}:
>
>    tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh veS Quj SuvwI'pu''e' vInej.
>    I seek (the) paintball warriors who speak Klingon.
>
> Without {-'e'}, the sentence is somewhat ambiguous and can also be
> translated as "I seek the Klingon that paintball warriors
> speak".  (Maybe
> you're collecting Klingon paintball jargon.)  If this
> unlikely version is
> what you actually mean, you can also tag the object of the
> relative clause
> with {-'e'}:
>
>    tlhIngan Hol'e' lujatlhbogh veS Quj SuvwI'pu' vInej.
>    I seek the Klingon that paintball warriors speak.
>
> Using {-'e'} like this is optional and, considering the
> context in this
> case, probably unnecessary but it's something to keep in mind.

Definitely a great tip.  I have problems with /'e'/ and am still a little
uncomfortable with it.  I know I use it wrong sometimes when I use it so I
avoid it when possible.

> > > tlhIngan noH Quj tuq vIchenmoH vIneH 'ach SuvwI'pu' vItu'nIS. --I
> > > would like to create a Klingon Paintball team but I need
> warriors.
> > > [I know this is also weak... suggestions?]
>
> How about *{QujwI'ghom} "team" [group of game players] - modelled on
> {tIjwI'ghom} "boarding party" [group of boarders]?

I like /QujwI'ghom/.  Now I'll have to add that to my database as well so I
remember it next time.

qatlho'.

> --
> Voragh