tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 29 11:45:31 2002

Re: lexicographical issue...

Hi people,

thanks for the reactions... Hopefully I get even more...

Anyway, Right after I had sent the message I realised that
<<Hargh HIvje'>> was indeed not "teapot" but "teacup", but hey,
errare humanem est...

> What is currently lacking in any uniform, distributable form, is a
> Klingon equivalent of the OED showing canon usage of all the
> Klingon words and affixes and grammatical constructions.
> Okrand has repeatedly told us that like a natural language, the
>"rules" of the language are derived from observing usage, so the
> best way to know the details of the language is to study the
> usage more than take the given rules too seriously.

To investigate what was lacking in the TKD, and what could,
theoretically, be compiled out of all the (scattered) canon material,
was indeed the focus of my paper, even though I'm mainly
focusing on problems concerning lay-out, typological issues,
whether to use nesting or not, whether to give examples, and
idiomatic use, and proverbs in an entry, and things of the like. I
will have to give examples in my paper, though, and I think I will
drop some questions on the list every once in a while...

I think that in order to take the making or revising of a dictionary
seriously, one should also try to take the rules that have been
given seriously. There is always room for exceptions in a
dictionary of course, since it will fit into the dictionary anyway.
I'm convinced that making a revised dictionary too voluminous is
not really a problem for Klingon, since (just being realistic)
tlhIngan Hol will never acquire as many words as the English
language has.

As I had said, my problem concerns nesting here. If I would
choose for nesting in a Revised Klingon Dictionary (or let's call it
OKD for fun, to make the parallel with OED) (for those who
don't know; nesting = to use more than one entry in the paragraph
of a dictionary), then what kind of compound nouns should, or
could, I put under one entry (that is, if I would want to use
nesting). And what about derivatives? Of course, due to the
extensive use, one should give <<SuvwI'>> as a separate entry,
and not as a derivate entry under <<Suv>>, but should I give
<<SuyDuj>> "merchant ship" a separate entry, or should I nest
this compound noun under <<Suy>> "merchant". That is really the
problem that is bothering me. The thing I'm looking for is a
consistent system that would be suitable for the average
dictionary user...

qeyS.

Back to archive top level