tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 28 10:23:21 2002

RE: ngupmey Ha'qujmey je

> Help with what you said.
> { 'IHqu' nguplIj 'e' vIpIH. Doj. }
>
> I expect that your cape be beautiful. Be impressive.

I expect that your cape is beautiful. It is impressive.

Remember that (except for sometimes verbs with {-meH} or {-wI'} or {-ghach))
Klingon verbs are never infinitive. There is always a subject. Don't forget
the "null" prefix. {Doj} means one of the following:

It is impressive.
She is impressive.
He is impressive.
They are impressive.

In this case, context suggests that likely, I'm talking about the cape. Since I
was talking to SuStel, I'd have had to say {bIDoj} if I was saying "You are
impressive," so it would not make sense to choose he/she/they as the subject
here.

Each of these translations can also be shifted to past or future tense,
depending on the time context in which the sentence appears:

It was beautiful.
It will be beautiful.

Since SuStel was talking about his cape in the past with a brief reference to
the present, you could interpret this to be either "I expect that your cape was
beautiful. It was impressive," or "I expect that your cape is beautiful. It is
impressive."

It doesn't really matter which way you interpret it. There's no indication that
the cape has changed in either its beauty or impressiveness, so both statements
would apply.

Will

> Or
>
> I am suspicious that your cape be beautiful. Be impressive.
>
> Or a mixture of both so that you mean
>
> I suspect that your cape is beautiful. It should be impressive.

Back to archive top level