tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 26 13:46:17 2002

Re: I'm the newbie

From: <[email protected]>
> Take anyone else's opinion (including mine) with a grain
> of salt. yIvoq 'ach yI'ol. ["Trust, but verify."]

toH!  Hu' puS QIn vIqontaHvIS qeSvam vInejlI'.  vISambe'.  pov.

> > jIQoch - I agree
> > jIQoch'be - I disagree
> > jiQoch'be'be could be a respond to the someone saying:"Well, I have the
> > feeling you disagree!"
> > One would respond: "No, no, I don't disagree" which is stronger that
> > just saying "I agree".
>
> I'll suggest that there might be a cultural issue here at play that you
may not
> be aware of. Assume for the sake of argument that I am a Klingon. You say
> me, "Well, I have the feeling you disagree."

I can see /jIQochbe'be'/ being used, with intentionally bad grammar, in
casual conversation:

tlhIngan wa': botjan yIchu'Ha'.  romuluS Duj wIQaw' rIntaH.

tlhIngan cha': jIQoch!

tlhIngan wej: jIQochbe'.

tlhIngan cha': jIQochbe'*BE'*!!!  'ej HoD jIH!  botjan yIchu'qa'!!

As such, it would be marked usage that everyone would understand.  Rather
like someone adding "NOT!" after an English sentence.

SuStel
Stardate 2233.5

Back to archive top level