tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 21 20:00:44 2002

Re: nested <<'e'>>s

jIjatlhpu':

 > (BTW, Can I use two <<'e'>>s in the manner above? (ie. wIghoH 'e' wImev
'e'
 > DaneHchugh). I have asked this question before, but I couldn't remember,
nor
 > find, the answer.)

jatlh SuStel:
>Well, you wouldn't use it like that, because /neH/ doesn't use /'e'/.

qatlho'qu'. pab motlhbe' potlh law' Hoch motlhbe' potlh puS, 'ej vIlIjpu'.
:S

Thank you. The most important irregularity of grammar, and I forgot it. :S

>There's no rule and so far as I know no evidence that says you can't do it.
>If the sentence is simple enough, go ahead.  But nested sentences as
>objects
>can get difficult to parse very quickly, so don't try to get too elaborate
>with it.

luq. ghaytan wej mu'tlheghmey lo'lu' neH, chaq loS mu'tlhegh lo' vay', 'ach
tlhoy <<'e'>>mey wIlo'chugh, nom numISmoH 'e' vIHarqu'.

OK. It's likely that only three sentences could be used, perhaps four, but
if we use too many <<'e'>>s, then I'm also convinced they'd confuse us very
quickly.

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han