tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 19 18:57:51 2002

RE: KLBC: HIQaH

> jabbI'IDwIj jIghItlh.

If you look up jI- on the prefix chart on page 33 you see it lines up with
subject "I" and object "(none)", no object.
jabbI'IDwIj is the object of the sentence.  Look in the chart, subject "I",
object "it", you find vI-.

jabbI'IDwIj vIghItlh.

> jItul choyaj.

This is "I hope.  You understand me."  Two sentences.
What are you hoping?  You're hoping THAT I understand you.  "you understand
me" is the object of "hope".  This is what's called Sentence-As-Object (SAO)
(page 65).  For this we use the pronoun 'e'.  The pronoun 'e' represents the
previous sentence.
Because we now have an object on tul, we need to change the prefix jI-.
Again, the subject is "I", the object is the previous sentence, "it".  vI-.

choyaj  'e' vItul.
"You understand me, I hope that."  "I hope that you understand me."

> HIQaH
> HIghojmoH

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level