tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 09 12:58:37 2002

ghojmoH

tIn Duj. (the ship is large.)
Duj vItInmoH (I make the ship large.)

bel be' (the woman is pleased.)
be' belmoH loD (the man pleases the woman.)

In these cases, the suffix {moH} caused the SUBJECT of the first phrase become the OBJECT of the second one. But what if I want to say something like this:

I'll teach you a new word.

Following this pattern, it seems that the object of the verb {ghojmoH} must be a living being, who will learn from the other person. {vIghojmoH} seems to mean "I teach him" and not "I teach it". But I want a confirmation about this.

Below are some attempts. Which of them are right, wrong, most recommended, etc?

mu' chu' DaSovmeH qaghojmoH. (I'll teach you, for you to know a new word.)
mu' chu' DaSovmeH jIghojmoH. (I'll teach, for you to know a new word.)
mu' chu' DaghojmeH qaghojmoH. (I'll teach you, for you to learn a new word.)
mu' chu' DaghojmeH jIghojmoH. (I'll teach, for you to learn a new word.)
qaghojmoH 'ej vaj mu' chu' Daghoj. (I'll teach you and then you'll learn a new word.)
mu' chu' Daghoj 'e' vIqaSmoH. (I'll cause you to learn a new word.)
mu' chu' Daghoj 'e' vIra'. (I'll force you to learn a new word.)
SoHvaD mu' chu' vIghojmoH. (I'll teach a new word for you.)

Back to archive top level