tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 06 17:55:15 2002

Re: -bogh

From: "qe'San (temp ADSL email)" <[email protected]>
> > Here's how I would say
> > that, including my use of an explicit noun:
> >
> > yaS qIppu'bogh loD'e' 'ej ghIq Haw'pu'bogh
> > the man who had hit the officer and then had fled
>
> For this meaning I can see that but the "and" in there make me feel
> something is missing , like another sentence. I was thinking of it as what
> he did after the hitting took place, no more.

Oh, I see what's confusing you.  We've learned that the so-called "sentence
conjunctions" actually conjoin verbs, not just sentences.  (Please don't ask
me to prove it -- the last time someone doubted me on this, I spent an hour
tracking down eight or so instances of what I mean.  Just take my word for
it!)

For example,

HoHbogh SuvwI' 'ej qabDaj 'angbe'bogh
warrior who kills and who doesn't reveal his face

There is no sentence here, there is just a complicated noun phrase.  The
VERBS are being joined by /'ej/.  If this were split apart, it might be

HoHbogh SuvwI'
the warrior who kills

qabDaj 'angbe'bogh SuvwI'
the warrior who doesn't show his face

> Maybe I'm getting tied up in
> the English and not the tlhIngan. I assume the 2nd [-bogh] is there
because
> of the way this is parsed but does it have to be there in every use of
> [-bogh].

This is one of the things you can elide in English and not in Klingon.
Here's a simpler example:

"We are hungry and thirsty."

You CAN'T say /maghung 'ej 'oj/.  You HAVE to say /maghung 'ej ma'oj/.

Likewise, you can't drop Type 9 verb suffixes.  You couldn't say

*HoHbogh SuvwI' 'ej qabDaj 'angbe'

(but you COULD say /HoH SuvwI' 'ej qabDaj 'ang/, because that's two separate
sentences).

> I honestly didn't think it applied to the "fled" part although it is
likely
> I would of missed that if I had.. Thanks for the step up.

I assumed you meant "the man who had hit the officer and who had then
fled" -- not a complete sentence.

SuStel
Stardate 2179.2

Back to archive top level