tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 03 08:03:13 2002

Hoch, 'op, bID, pagh, chang'eng

SuStel (Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:54:04 –0500):
: ... my belief that /Hoch chab/ means "each pie," /chab Hoch/
: means "all of the pie," and /chab HochHom/ means
: "almost all of the pie."  Likewise, I believe that /'op chab/
: means "some of the pies," and /chab 'op/ means "some of the pie"
: (and I'll just betcha that /'opHom chab/ would be taken as
: "a few of the pies," and /chab 'opHom/ as "a little bit of the pie").

SuStel (Fri, 1 Mar 2002 15:29:27 –0500):
: ... /bID chab/ might mean "half a pie," or it might mean
: "half of the pies."  I don't know.  ...
: In the case of /chab bID/, this can even be analyzed as
: any old noun-noun phrase: "pie half."

mu'mISmoHtaH mu'mey {Hoch}, {'op}, {bID}, {pagh}. SuStel jabbI'IDmey
vIlaDta' 'ej tetlhmeyvam vIgherta'. lugh'a' qechmeywIj? DuH'a'? nuq 'oH
vuDraj'e'? HIchuHneS! Satlho'.

--Hoch--

Hoch chabmey – all the pies; all pies
        [also "generic Hoch" as in "take any pie in the universe and
        you'll see it has a certain property"?]
Hoch chab – (SuStel:) each pie
chabmey Hoch - all of the pies (in a batch/lot)
        [context: wa'maH chab(mey) vIvut. 'ey *chabmey Hoch*.
        (I cooked ten pies. All of the pies were delicious)]
chab Hoch - (SuStel:) all of the pie (the same as "chab naQ"?)

HochHom chabmey? - ?most of the pies
HochHom chab? - ?most of the pie
chabmey HochHom - ?most of the pies (i.e. the majority of them)
chab HochHom – (SuStel:) almost all of the pie

--'op--          [interchangable constructions?]

'op chabmey – ? some of the pies
'op chab – (SuStel:) some of the pies
chabmey 'op – some of the pies
chab 'op - (SuStel:) some of the pie

'opHom chabmey – ?
'opHom chab – (SuStel:) a few of the pies
        [(meaning fewer than some?, synonymous with {chab(mey) puS?}]
chabmey 'opHom–  ?a little of the pies
        (i.e. a really small portion of the batch/lot)
        [context: wa'vatlh chab(mey) luvutlu'. *chabmey 'opHom*
        vItlhap 'e' muchaw' vutwI'. (s/he allowed me to take only
        very few, say, 2 or 3)]
chab 'opHom– (SuStel:) a little of the pie
        [context: jIHvaD chab jablu'pu'. * chab 'opHom* vISop.
        (I was served a pie. I ate a little of the pie]

--bID--

bID chabmey - ?half of the pies
bID chab– (SuStel:) ?half a pie, half of the pies
        how about: half a pie (an amount, as in "half a pound of
        butter")
        [context: chab Hoch vItlhapQo'. *bID chab* HInob.
        (I won't take an entire pie/one whole pie. Give me half a pie)]
chabmey bID - ?half of the pies
chab bID- (SuStel:) pie half , ?half of the pie.
        [context: chab vut SoS. naHlet ngaS *chab bID*.
        (Mother cooked a pie. Half of the pie contained nuts)

[interchangably?:]
bIDHom chabmey – ?less than a half of the pies ("a minority")
bIDHom chab- ?a smaller part of the pie (less than a half)
chabmey bIDHom -?less than a half of the pies ("a minority")
chab bIDHom – ?a smaller part of the pie (less than a half)

--pagh--

pagh chabmey - ?no pies
pagh chab - no pie
chabmey pagh- ?not a single piece of the pies
        [context: (jIHvaD wej chab(mey) lujablu'. *chabmey pagh* vISop.
        (I was served three pies. I didn't eat a single morsel of any
        of the pies.)]
chab pagh - ?not a single piece of the pie
        [context: jIHvaD wa' chab jablu'. chab *pagh vISop*)
        (I was served me one pie. I didn't eat a single morsel of the
         pie.)]

chabmey paghHom- ? ? almost nothing / in effect nothing of the pies
chab paghHom- ? almost nothing / in effect nothing of the pie
        [implication: I ate such a miniscule morsel of the pie that the
        pie is virtually intact]
paghHom chabmey - ? almost none of the pies
        [implication: I ate so few of the pies that the batch is
        virtually intact]
paghHom chab - ?

--chang'eng--

chang'eng mu'mey - a word of a pair (one of the two)
chang'eng mu' – words of a pair (both of them)
mu'mey chang'eng – ?a pair of words
mu' chang'eng - ?a pair of words

baQa'! 'oy' nachwIj. qoDDajDaq mI'law' targhmey tIn!

'ISqu'