tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 27 21:32:13 2002

RE: "one nation, under God"

> >Surely a literal translation wouldn't work:
> >{Qun bIng}
> >sounds to me like "God's bottom". Oh my!

It would be "area under God", "the area beneath God".
We have other words for "bottom".

> >{Qun lobtaHbogh wa' Sep}
> >"one region which continues to obey God"
> >
> >{Qun pabtaHbogh wa' Sep}
> >"one region which continues to adhere to God"
> >
> >Neither of those phrases look right to me, though. Can the {wa'} come
> >between the {-bogh) phrase and {Sep}?

It goes in front of the noun it is modifying.  wa' Sep.

> wa' Sep Devbogh Qun.

Perhaps it has to do with loyalty [matlh], or "under" his protection; not
under his rule or physically under him.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level