tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 18 13:36:52 2002

Re: Hol ghojlu''a'?

Several people said:

> > >I have no problem with people translating -qu' as "very much", MO does it
> > >himself.  I admit it seems a bit ackward sometimes.  "Really" can be used
> > >also; "While we really use language..." How would YOU show -qu' in
> english?
> >
> > -qu' does not JUST mean "very much". Indeed it is ambiguous. When
> attempting
> > a translation of my text, charghwI' just happened to interpret my -qu' in
> > such a way that his English version sounded really bad, seemingly to
> > demonstrate how poor my Klingon was -- because he couldn't translate it
> well
> > into English(?) But just in case his interpretation was accidental, I
> gave a
> > reference in TKD to examples of the emphatic function of -qu'. Other
> > examples include PK's "naDev Dochvetlh qemqu'".

DloraH asked:
>I don't disagree with your definition, nor am I investigating charghwI''s
>intent; but I am curious how you would show -qu' in a translation.

{wIlo'qu'taHvIS} = "while we over-use it, although we use it too much".

A few examples from canon:

   tujqu'choH QuQ
   The engine is overheating. TKD

   HoSghajqu'
   Too potent. CK [i.e. Romulan ale]

   yIHaDqu'
   Study him well. TKD

   Qatlhqu'.
   Most difficult. ST5

   tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
   Hit them hard and hit them fast. TKW

   bIQapqu'meH tar DaSop 'e' DatIvnIS
   To really succeed, you must enjoy eating poison. TKW

   yIntaHbogh qagh jablu'DI' reH nIvqu' qagh
   Gagh is always best when served live. TKW

You don't necessarily have to translate {-qu'}.  Often it corresponds to
emphasis or tone of voice in English:

   nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
   Our lives burn short and bright. (Anthem)

   meH, naDev qaS wanI' ramqu'.
   Bridge, nothing happening here. ST3

   nom yIghoSqu'!
   Maximum speed. ST5

   naDev Dochvetlh qemqu'!
   I really mean it this time! Bring that here! PK (pet command)

There are several more of these from Okrand's notes for Klingon lines cut
from the final ST5 script:

   ghuy' po'qu'
   Damn, he's good!

   maHeghbejqu'