tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 10:52:20 2002

Prepositional Phrases

jabbI'meyraj vIlaDpa', jabbI'IDvam vIqon.

jIQIj 'ej loQ jItlhIj.

Some English grammar teachers teach that preposition phrases in the object
are part of the object, though neither a direct object nor an indirect
object.  However, I and the same teachers I know of admit that preposition
phrases in English sentences may occur in other positions.  Many are at the
"head" of the sentence; these are quite often time adverbials.

While a locative in an English sentence may occur before the verb (predicate
proper), my teachers still held that it is part of the predicate (body).

peHruS

Back to archive top level