tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 10:52:21 2002

Re: Vaj'Hom

>Yes, there is often a difference in size, but notice too that it's more
>than that.

<snip>

>Beginners are often beguiled by {-Hom} and {-'a'} - probably (as Lawrence
>suggested) because it is so different from English - forgetting the proper
>use of {mach} and {tIn} completely.  Fortunately, this effect usually wears
>off as they become more familiar with the language.

I'm familiar with a few other languges that also have
augmentative/diminutive, so it's definitely not the 'new toy' effect.
Okrand's wording in TKD combined with his explanations of
{bo'DaghHom/bo'Dagh'a' lo'} in KGT, which offer no reason for assuming that
the difference is anything *but* size, indicate that the difference *can* be
just size.

But that's just my interpretation.  Knowing how the list interprets them,
I'm not going to use them for a simple difference in size.
As Will recently pointed out, current usage is a more reliable guide than
arbitrary rules, so I'll stick with accepted list usage.  I just can't find
any justification for outlawing the big/small meanings based solely on
TKD/KGT.